ALBERTA CANADA - Sarah Douglas still remembers the tingling sensation in her mouth after she ordered what she thought was a latte at the Alberta area McDonald’s.
"I had no idea what i was drinking, i just knew it wasn't coffee and it tasted like chemical,” said Sarah Douglas.
Douglas had just purchased a latte and took sip. She immediately knew something was wrong.
“I threw my hazard lights on, pulled into the ditch and spit it out. I grabbed some water that was in my car and i swished my mouth out,” she said.
Being eight months pregnant with her third child, she instantly worried she'd put her unborn baby at risk.
She returned to McDonald’s to find out what she's ingested.
She actually went around the corner to look at the latte machine as well and noticed that there was two hoses coming out of the machine and going into this chemical.
Dan Brown, the franchisee owner told Global News in a statement "...the machine was being cleaned - as it is every morning. Unfortunately, the milk supply line was connected to the cleaning solution while this guest's drink was made."
He also said immediate action was taken to review proper cleaning procedures, along with additional signage for staff.
Douglas phoned poison control and was checked by her doctor. She hopes this experience reminds all restaurants of the importance of staff training, fearing this could happen to an unsuspecting child.
“There needs to be more than a slap on the wrist, we need to take it more seriously when we are dealing with food handling,” she said. “I mean to put a lid on something that doesn't look like a latte, that should be your first indication.”
Luckily, Douglas was only left with a bad taste in her mouth