Animal Care Services is urging pet owners to take precautions as Halloween brings out some unintended dangers for pets.
Candy, scary costumes and loud noises can upset a family pet and ACS offers these tips for pet owners:
- Chocolate of any type, even a nibble, can be toxic and potentially fatal to dogs and cats. Keep holiday goodies like candies and cookies away from your pets.
- Talk to your kids about the danger of giving your pet Halloween treats.
- Cellophane and foil wrappers, lollipop and caramel apple sticks should be thrown away immediately. They pose a choking hazard to pets if swallowed.
- Trick-or-treating may be fun for the family but the constant ringing of the doorbell can scare your pet. Provide a quiet, safe place for your pet to relax.
- Although it may be tempting to bring Fido along while trick-or-treating, holiday masks and costumes could be threatening to your family pet. Fear may lead to protective or aggressive behavior like biting and growling.
- Keep your pet safe inside for the evening if you’re worried trick or treaters may scare or bother your outdoor pet.
- Halloween decorations, like jack-o-lantern candles and electric strings of lights can spark curiosity in pets. Keep them out of reach.
- Not all pets will tolerate wearing a costume or embellished collar. Get your pet in on the Halloween fun by providing a holiday themed treat for them to enjoy.
Meanwhile, we'd love to see your pet pics! Click the UPLOAD button below or CLICK HERE TO UPLOAD.